United Way Grants: Funding Guidelines
Donors trust United Way to wisely invest their donations into programs that address the most urgent needs and also have the greatest positive impact on the community and the children, families and individuals in each of the communities we serve. As part of our stewardship of financial contributions, United Way has a strong process in place to ensure the best investment.
United Way has committees of volunteers (Impact Councils) review applications from registered charities and recommend funding decisions to the Board of Directors. Their recommendations are based on community priorities, specific funding criteria and local research gathered on needs/possible solutions.
Goal and Mission of United Way as context for UWCNVI’s granting philosophy:
United Way’s Goal
Our goal is to create opportunities for a better life for everyone in our communities.
United Way’s Mission
We improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
United Way delivers it mission by investing in three impact areas (click on area below):
All That Kids Can Be
Poverty to Possibility
Healthy People, Strong Communities
Who is Eligible to Apply for Funds
Registered Canadian charities operating local programs may apply for United Way support.
United Way does not fund the following:
- Organizations without Charitable Registration Numbers/BN Registration Numbers
- Programs outside of our geographic area
- Formal education – universities, school districts, private schools
- For-profit organizations
- Political parties
- Religious activities
- Capital expenditures
- General operating expenditures (not program specific)
Investment Decisions Influenced by these Basic Criteria:
- Aligns with United Way focus areas
- Program isn’t a duplication of an existing program
- Addresses community need (needs/solutions identified by a local multi-agency table have high priority)
- Engages and mobilizes community
- Has community support (partnerships in program delivery or client referrals into or out of program, etc.)
- Demonstrates impact (clients are helped and how they are helped is measureable)
- Excellence in performance and leadership (organization and program are well run)
- Strong governance at the charity applying for funds
- There is a need for United Way funds
- Where possible, the program addresses underlying causes of social issues
How to Apply
Visit the Grant Application page for more details on how to apply.
To learn more about the funding guidelines, contact email@example.com.