On Wednesday, May 15, 2019, United Way invites you to help spread a culture of kindness in our community.
Kindness. It makes our community better for everyone.
Never underestimate the power of even the smallest act of kindness. It has the power to change a life. And when multiplied by millions of people, small gestures of support can transform the world.
Kindness inspires teamwork and helps people feel respected and less alone. Kindness connects people and makes them feel valued and included.
Being kind improves mental health and reduces stress. Being kind improves overall well-being and builds emotional resilience.
Being kind feels good. Being kind releases feel-good endorphins, just like exercise. So making someone smile makes you feel good too!
Kindness broadens our perspective. Being kind requires attention, so you notice more while helping others. As a result, you have more opportunities to learn and gain insight, and practice mindfulness.
Kindness is contageous! Here are some ideas how to spread it!
• Visit a sick friend
• Buy someone a meal
• Let someone go before you
• Give blood • Read to a child or senior
• Send your boss an email about a co-worker’s hard work
• Respect others
• Be patient
• Bring a welcome gift to a new co-worker
• Forgive a mistake
• Show compassion
• Help a neighbour
• Hold the door for someone
• Leave change in the vending machine
• Help someone carry their groceries
• Leave a note on the bathroom mirror that says “you look amazing!”
• Send flowers to a friend
• Deliver a cup of coffee
• Leave a nice note on someone’s desk
• Say “thank you”
• Leave a copy of your favourite book on a bus with a note in it
• Do a favour
• Teach someone how to cook a healthy meal
• Mentor a child
• Cook a meal for a family with a new baby